Nov 4, 2010

Grey or Gray?

Which is it? I'm not sure.

I woke this morning in darkness. It was only 5 a.m., and part of my mind wondered if I'll ever sleep much past 6 again. Sunrise was 7:21, but it didn't seem like a real sunrise. Not really. It was so dark and gloomy out. So gray. But there was a touch of pink to the sky. Just a touch.


I wandered through the house, looking out windows. It was very quiet, and cold in the front part of this giant house. This giant house. It seems so ridiculous sometimes. Almost embarrassing. We are so fortunate to have a house, but it's so big. I walked room by cold room, through the front of the house where we don't live. Through rooms that are bare and empty. Bare floors and walls, waiting for something.


Again, so quiet. I looked out the windows. There was frost on the roof, and on the grass. My mind reeled a little... already? It's only November. Then I realized it was 9 a.m., and still frosty and gray.

Will it be a hard winter, I wonder?

6 comments:

Dorthe said...

Hi dear Lee!-
Hope your oldest are feeling good again after loosing his two front teefh`s--
And yes, I too have the feeling that it will once more be a very cold winter,dear..
World,-and weather, are a`changing
Have a lovely week-end, Lee.
Hugs, Dorthe

Lili said...

It was very gray today and now it is raining along with the gray. I like to spell it "grey" though, especially if it's in a pretty shade! I love a vintage house, but I'm sure it's a lot harder to heat, but oh the possibilities for all that space! xo ~Lili

Gigi said...

Oh please no! Not a hard winter. I don't think I can bear it. We had what I consider to be a hard winter last year - enough so that I actually began to dream about moving back to Texas.....

Cassie Shella said...

The views are lovely, and yes, I think it's going to be a hard winter. We had snow flurries here in Norwalk Ohio today. On the east side of Cleveland they were expecting some light accumulation (about 50 east of Norwalk)! Have a warm and cozy weekend:)

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Hi Lee,

I came and had a nosy peek at your blog yesterday and loved it. In fact, I loved it so much that I've come back today as your follower!

Your house is so beautiful. I love the windows and the weather-boarding. And SO big!

I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Sarahx

Unknown said...

It just begs for a warn cup of cocoa and huge hood, doesn't it? I love fall, I have an excuse to snuggle and read and fight the cold. Right now I am really jealous of your huge house. I miss the idea of space. Try to enjoy it!