Oct 2, 2011

Soon She Will Wake

It's raining cats and dogs here, the fire is burning and keeping us warm, so I figured now was a good time to post!

This is the latest page for the Paper Digital Arts swap Interpretations. This September's theme was dried flowers- which, of course, I had none! I even tried to go buy some at the small local store- nothin'!

So, I improvised and used paper flowers. They were roses, rolled fairly tightly and glued, so I just peeled them like onions.

The words are lyrics to a song called Shadowlands, by Big Head Todd and the Monsters. You can listen to it here.

Ah, soon she will wake

When love is in the
air she breathes



Of course, the symbolism in the piece is pretty obvious. She cradles her heart in her hands, hopeful for what married life will bring her.

I tried using a birdcage instead of a house, but the one I picked just didn't work.  You can see how changing just one element in a piece can totally change the tone of it. Instead of looking forward to her life in her home with her husband, the birdcage would have implied that she would be trapped.
This page was heavily inspired by a piece called LIFE by Susie over at Gathering Up Bits of the World. I happened to be blog surfing, and came across her's, which is now bookmarked! Something about her page just really stuck with me.

I think we must be very careful not to copy, and to give credit where it is due. However, I also believe that each piece of work we do has our own stamp on it. It was a great opportunity to try new techniques with shading, color scheme, etc. Backgrounds are not always a strong point for me, and I just loved the look of hers.


Enjoy!

3 comments:

Susie said...

Thanks so much for sharing my work along with your own as the source of your inspiration for your piece. Your work speaks for itself, very touching and honest. It truly feels wonderful when one's work inspires someone else to create and speak in a voice that is there own.

Lili said...

The rose petals look real, it's amazing to find out they're paper! That is such a sweet pink glitter heart she's holding. Lovely art as always Lee. ~Lili

Terri Kahrs said...

Lee, what a beautiful piece you've created! I found it difficult to believe that those rose petals aren't "real"!!! What lovely ruffles they make!!! Matter of fact, this entire piece is gorgeous, and as Susie mentioned, very touching.

Thank you for your B'day wishes! We had a fabulous time in New England. We actually experienced 80 degree weather in Auburn ME!!! Unheard of this time of the year. And our day in Nantucket was full of heat and sunshine too. All in all . . . . it was FABULOUS - complete with a lobster dinner on my special day!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo