Sep 2, 2012

Clenched Teeth and Smiles

So... moving, yeah. It was an ordeal. No lie. My last post was cheerfully written, but honestly it's been a mixed bag.

We spend most of the spring getting the Maine house ready for sale- painting, cleaning, installing a new bathroom that I'll never get to enjoy. I packed up the SUV five times and hauled it to Good Will. I probably took as much to the dump. And still the house has a lot in it, which I will have to go back to pack up once the house sells (and it WILL sell!) That's sort of the kicker here- I will have to pack up everything- move it down, then move it again at some point when we buy a house.

I will tell you it is a bit surreal, moving back into my childhood home! My boy are in my old room, and I am in my sister's old room. Weird. But familiar, in the most amazing way. I know where things are. I know the steps that creak. I know how unbelievably HOT the water is. I know the sounds and smells of the place. Some things have changed, and some things haven't. It is home.

We drove down Thursday a week ago. The kids started school that Monday. We had to go in a bit late, finish giving the school what seemed like endless paperwork, then the kids went to their classes. I could tell Jason was nervous by the look on his face. He walked slowly. He looked liked he was going to balk. Every single pair of eyes in the class were on him. How intimidating! He handled it gracefully. I, on the other hand, burst into tears as soon as I got into the hallway.

Then we headed to Adam's school, about 12 minutes away. He began to cry as soon as we got in there. It was tough. So much guilt for moving my kids away from Maine and their friends- even though I know it's what we needed to do. I left him in the care of the teachers and turned my back and left. And cried some more.

I think, along with the guilt, that the physical and emotional tolls of the move a few days prior caught up with me that day. I came home and basically did nothing, cried on and off, then took a nap.I got a lot of support from my Facebook friends, who assured my children are resilient. And they are!

The next day, both boys were fine about going to school. No major meltdowns. No tears (from any of us).

So, next on the list is my new job. I'm just waiting on the paperwork from the state. IN the meantime, I'll have lots to share about life on the farm!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

welcome back down south It's a real challenge to pick up and move like you did...hang in there.. kids are resilient and they'll be fine as long as you are! How cool to live in your childhood home again!

Gigi said...

Sending you hugs. I knew it had to have been stressful. But know this, the kids will be fine. YOU will be fine. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Lili said...

Oh my goodness you're there already! And in your childhood home...that's got to feel like a big ole hug right there. Hang in there Lee! ~Lili