Aug 5, 2010

Some Country Charm

There is a front porch and 2 side porches on my home. The front porch is seldom used, and is just about 6x6, I'm guessing. In the house I grew up in, the original porch had a sky blue ceiling. It was slightly more turquoise than blue. I wish I had a picture of it. The blue is often referred to haint blue, and it varies by region. It's more turquoise in Ohio, and gets more powdery blue as you travel south. I'm not sure if it is a custom up here in Maine, but it is on my house, anyway!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I chose Artic Blue by Glidden. It turned out lovely!

After spying this over at French Larkspur, I had to give my little side porch a makeover.  Tracey mentioned in her blog that it was a vendor booth, made up of old windows.

My side porch is about 6x6, and is made up of old storm windows. The larger windows on the side still show the indentations from the hinges, and the smaller ones in the front still have their hinges. If you look in the upper corner, you can see them.




 I think the narrower windows may have opened up at the bottom, but there is a single nail holding them closed. My sister and I couldn't find the nail head, and hubby had already gone out of town (think reciprocating saw, which I wasn't sure about using).

I added some teal plaid valences from my former laundry- think they're too short? I want to make some banners too.

I bought white paint to do the railings (coming down someday, but not yet), and red paint for the floor (to match the trim on the barn). But then when I was scraping off the chippy paint, I found significant rot and dry rot. UGH.

So, I'm waiting for hubby to come before wasting paint. I hope we can repair it, because I want it to look good for the ART RETREAT!!

Let me know if you have any suggestions for this little gem-in-the-rough.

hugs- Lee

4 comments:

Gigi said...

No ideas to share (that is your department), but it will be lovely when you finish. I tried to talk Hubby into a blue ceiling on the back porch...he wanted nothing to do with it. But one of these days when he's not looking......

Rose Garden Romantic said...

I love the ceiling painted blue and the plaid curtains! So cheerful and cozy!

The Other Side of Me said...

Lee,

I LOVE it. It looks so sweet and country. The curtains add so much. Can't wait to see you soon.
Tammy

Karen said...

How cute everything is turning out. Love the porch ceiling and must confess it is new to me but I love it!